Torrefied Ash Body Electric / Bass Guitar
- Dimensions: (550x200x50mm)x2
- Botanical Name: Fraxinus excelsior
- Origin: America
- Density: 480-500 kg/m3
- Description: The heartwood of the Ash is light to medium brown. Sapwood can be very wide and tends to be a beige or light brown; not always clearly demarcated from heartwood. The fiber is straight and the grain is coarse; cause to the porosity of the grain is necessary to use abundant Sanding Sealer. The density of the Ash is 500 kg/m3, the gluing and finishing do not present problems, but it is usual to sharpening the tools during machining. It is a hard wood to brush, cut and turn.
A Stratocaster body normally weigh 2.2 kg. Its density contributes to a bright tone and a long sustain, which makes this wood a very popular choice among guitarists.
Torrified Ash Wood has undergone a thermal process, this process modifies the intern structure of the wood by applying heat in an oxygen-free environment. The aging of the wood achieved by torrefaction process is similar to that achieved naturally oven the years. This process improves a better stability, decreases the capacity to absorb moisture, increases the speed of sound, decreases the weight of the wood, and it gives the wood a deep colour and enhances the wood grain. This heating process does not affect acoustic properties and is much appreciated by most luthiers.
Qualities resulting from torrefaction process application:
- Improves stability.
- Decreases the capacity to absorb moisture.
- Harden cell walls.
- The resins crystallize and partially evaporate.
- Increases stiffness (flexural strength).
- Cleans pore wood.
- Increases the speed of sound.
- Richer deep colour.
- Makes the weight lighter
Torrefaction process does not transform worse quality wood into a better one, but it turns significantly good properties even better.